UGA Griffin Student Leadership Council
From our constitution, “the purpose of the Student Leadership Council (SLC) is to add value to students' campus life. We strive to empower the next generation of UGA Griffin students through building character and leadership/teamwork skills through student-led campus events that foster a thriving and fun community at UGA Griffin.” If this organization is something you might be interested in, we strongly encourage you to apply as our applications are open for this academic year.
Note – only a limited number of open positions are available.
From our constitution, “the goal is to empower each member to grow as a leader, as a team player, to become more accountable, dependable, and a better time manager, so we take control of what needs to be accomplished in order for a successful and fun year in the SLC. If we can’t succeed in doing schoolwork, research, and in this organization, how can we expect to succeed in life when we have a job, a family, and have more obligations? Don’t be afraid to call anyone out and give constructive criticism because that is how we learn and grow. Let’s work to grow as a team and have a successful year.”
Misty Smith and Lee Taylor serve as the organization's advisors. Students who are interested in joining SLC should fill out a UGA Griffin Student Leadership Council (SLC) Application.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com
2023 - 2024 UGA Griffin Student Leadership Council
- Peter Chiarelli – President – Ph.D. Food Science & Technology – Chicago, Illinois
- Umar Munir – Vice President – Dual MS in Sustainable agriculture (Italy) & Crop and Soil Science (USA)
- Sarah Bragg – Microbiology (B.S.) and Interdisciplinary Studies (A.B.) with Psychology Concentration with an area of emphasis in Neuroscience – Griffin, Georgia
- Javier Cruz – Ph.D. Food Science & Technology – Guatemala
- Daniel Ibiyemi – Ph.D. Entomology – Nigeria
- Kriti Poudel – M.S in Crop and Soil Sciences – Nepal
- Amaryllis Rivera-Santiago – M.S in Food Science – Puerto Rico
- James Robinson – General Business, Agribusiness, and Consumer Economics with a concentration in Financial Planning – Columbus, Georgia
- Gurjit Singh – Ph.D. Entomology – India
UGA Griffin Ambassadors (Why Apply?)
In spring 2009, the UGA Griffin Ambassadors organization was formed. Undergraduate and graduate students are selected annually to serve as official hosts and goodwill ambassadors for campus and community events. The Ambassadors welcome university and government officials to the Griffin Campus, assist incoming students at New Student Orientation, and talk with prospective students at a variety of campus events about the degree programs and opportunities available to them as UGA Griffin Campus students.
New members of the UGA Griffin Ambassadors are selected early in the fall and spring semesters. Thus, students interested in applying should check the “Important Dates” and/or the “Spotlight on Campus News and Events” sections on the home page of the UGA Griffin Campus web site at the very start of the fall and spring semesters for an announcement that the online application is available.
Ms. Faye Chatman, Program Director for the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences at the Griffin Campus; Dr. Marianne Fortuna, Lecturer in the Terry College of Business' J.M. Tull School of Accounting; and Mr. Avery Bray, IT Professional Principal, serve as the organization's advisors.
Applications for the UGA Griffin Ambassadors are now being accepted. If you’d like to be considered for this student organization whose members serve as the official hosts and goodwill ambassadors for the UGA Griffin Campus, please submit the online application no later than 5 PM on Thursday, August 31, 2023.
Spring 2023 UGA Griffin Ambassadors
- John McWaters, General Business (BBA), Fayetteville, GA - President
- Riya Hooda, Food Science and Technology (MS), Griffin, GA - Vice President
- Matt Molini, Crop and Soil Science (MS), Griffin, GA - Secretary
- Deanna Bigio, Horticulture (MS), Griffin, GA - Assignment Coordinator
- Sarah Bragg, Microbiology (BS) and Psychology (BS), Griffin, GA
- Jon Fletcher, General Business (BBA), Griffin, GA
- Mahesh Ghimire, Entomology (MS), Griffin, GA
- Daniel Ibiyemi, Entomology (PhD), Griffin, GA
- Anna Lawson, Microbiology (BS) and Psychology (BS), Griffin, GA
- Matthew McWaters, Interdisciplinary Studies – Sociology (AB), Fayetteville, GA
- Saptarshi Mondal, Crop and Soil Science (PhD), Griffin, GA
- Umar Munir, Crop and Soil Science (MS), Griffin, GA
- Amrit Pal, Food Science and Technology (PhD), Griffin, GA
- Harshita Saxena, Plant Breeding, Genetics, & Genomics (PhD), Locust Grove, GA
- Mayra Villar-Buzo, Plant Breeding, Food Science and Technology (MS), Griffin, GA
UGA Griffin Toastmasters Club
UGA Griffin Toastmasters aims to help its members grow as presenters and speakers and to improve their English skills. The club meets every Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. on Zoom and holds hybrid in person/Zoom meetings on the first and third Wednesdays of the month. For club information and more about how you can join, please visit our website at https://ugagriffin.toastmastersclubs.org/.